Have you ever thought, “what would happen if my dog accidentally ate my Delta 8 gummies?” If you answered yes and are worried about what to do if your dog raids your Delta 8 stash, you’ve come to the right place.
We get how frightening it can be when your pet pal eats something that they really shouldn’t. So what do you do in this kind of scenario? Read on to find out.
Dogs are often mischievous creatures; yes, they sometimes get into trouble. Before we dive into what you can do if your doggo accidentally consumes Delta-8, let’s do a quick Delta-8 recap.
Found in the cannabis plant, Delta 9 THC is the active component that induces a high. Given this, it is classified as a psychoactive drug.
Delta 8, like Delta 9, is a psychoactive substance. However, it typically brings on relaxation, and the feeling isn’t as strong as the Delta 9 high.
Those seeking a greater sense of relaxation than CBD offers often turn to Delta 8. They want to feel mellow but do not want to get high, which Delta 9 does.
While Delta 9 THC is toxic to dogs, the effects of Delta 8 on dogs are still unknown; not much information on the subject is available.
One thing we do know for sure, though, is that dogs’ brains have more cannabinoid receptors than ours. This implies they are far more sensitive to cannabis’s psychoactive compounds. As a result, even trace amounts of Delta 9 THC can be hazardous to dogs.
For this reason, it is advisable not to administer Delta 8 THC to your dog. Instead, veterinarians advise using high-quality CBD oil. Make sure that it does not contain THC.\
What should you do if your dog eats your Delta 8 gummies? (HINT: In this case, CBD is your dog’s best friend!)
If your pet has consumed THC in any form, you can take the following steps immediately:
1. Administer a dose of CBD to negate the effects of THC
CBD is a THC inhibitor that prevents THC from attaching to cannabinoid receptors in the brain, reducing THC’s effects. According to current research, THC metabolizes at a different pace when cannabidiol is administered.
As a result, if a pet exhibits indications of intoxication, a CBD dosage can be offered. Since CBD is non-toxic, providing a bit extra based on each animal’s needs can be beneficial.
2. Take your pet to the vet as soon as possible
Although an overdose of Delta 8 is rarely lethal, a vet will most likely need to give your dog an IV. This helps prevent dehydration caused by frequent bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. The vet may also give your dog several medications to treat the vomiting and diarrhea, as well as any other symptoms.
Furthermore, your dog’s oxygen levels and blood pressure will be checked during treatment. Your dog may need to be hospitalized for a few days in certain circumstances.
When a pet (or a child) is in the house, taking responsibility is vital to ensure that they do not take substances that are hazardous to their mental and physical health.
It is recommended to keep your Delta 8 gummies out of the reach of your pets and be particularly cautious if you have a habit of forgetting such items around the house.
While most pets fully recover after ingesting Delta 8 and receiving proper vet care, it is preferable not to expose them to it. And if you do want to give your dog a healthy treat, stick to CBD… It’s a much healthier and safer option for your pet.
|Disclaimer: The contents of the Golden Goat website (“Content”), including text, graphics, images, and other material, are provided solely for informative reasons. The content is not meant to replace a licensed veterinarian’s advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any queries regarding your pet’s medical condition, always contact your veterinarian immediately.|